While being small and slimy, termites can be pretty dangerous to the environment they are in. It is indeed annoying to encounter them in your home. Their nature is to create damage wherever they go, which is what makes them such a nuisance. These tiny creatures infest wood, wall, and furniture alike. There are two types of termites, subterranean termites and dry wood termites, each one specializing in its destructive quality.
Homeowners who encounter them must vary the damage they might have already incurred. But do not worry, while termites may seem invincible, they are not. Getting rid of them is not a hassle at all actually, if you follow the necessary steps. Hometriangle brings you some of the easy and hassle-free steps to eliminate termite problems permanently in your home.
However, there is also another important point to be aware of before we go any further. Large termite infestation calls for a professional exterminator\pest control services to permanently eliminate them. They have the ability and necessary skill to handle these tiny troublemakers. Hometriangle offers you the best of these professionals at a very reasonable cost, you can always check our services out.
So, Come on then, without any delay, let us dive into the blog!
Signs: How to spot them
Before we go into the part about getting rid of them, Let us first understand how to exactly spot them. Termites are not exactly flamboyant creatures and they prefer to dwell in dark and quiet places. And with them being so small, it is hard to spot the little creatures. You are most likely to find termites in storage areas, basements, kitchens, and bathrooms.
So here we are providing you with all the information on how to find them and what exactly to do for achieving that.
As mentioned before, termites love the places where the light falls little so the first thing to do to spot them taps the floors and woods in your home. If you have a home that is made out of wood then, follow the necessary steps:
- Take a hammer or screwdriver and examine the crawlspaces or spaces in your bathroom. With a little force tap on them. Now, if the floor is already infested with termites then it will easily break in or at least look sagged. If this is the case, try to also spot the termite droppings nearby, they are sure to be there if it is a termite infestation.
- There is also a possibility that termites may have nests of their own in your home or outside. This hints at the fact that termites have been in your home for a while now and you need to take immediate action to eliminate them.
- Once you spot them, the next step is to check what kind of termites are they, subterranean termites that thrive in all forms of objects, dry wood termites that dwell solely in wood.
- Depending on the types of termites they are, an effective treatment procedure can be drawn.
How to get rid of them:
Depending upon the type of termites you have, the necessary steps can be taken care of. Homeowners can easily estimate the damage they have caused and then determine the treatments. However, always keep in mind that while handling them you are protected with safety goggles, hand gloves, and protective clothing.
How to get rid of subterranean termites?
- Termite baits: Termite baits are a scientifically proven way to get rid of termites effectively. Baits are to be put under the perimeter of your house, the toxin these baits contain has a fasting acting effect on these insects. Termites are like viruses, even if one gets infected, it will spread like wildfire to others. Hence destroying the whole colony.
- Chemicals: Chemicals like Termidor foam can be sprayed inside your home itself. If you spot the termite in any part of your house, then spray immediately on the insect to have the desired effect. The foam works simply, odorless and poisonous, termites won’t see it coming. And the residue it leaves behind, kills them immediately when they step on it.
How to get rid of drywood termites?
- Make use of essential oils: The good news is that, dry wood termites are not immune to the essential oils. This you can take advantage of. Use neem oil or orange oil with two cups of water and mix the oil with the dish soap, then shake it well and spray it on the infested area.
- Spot treatment: Spot treatment is exactly as it sounds. What you need to do here is simply drill the holes in the affected area where the termites built the nest and spray the termiticide or other pest control chemical there.
How do you get rid of all types of termites?
- Boric Acid: Boric acid is a powerful method from which you can easily eliminate termites. It is the main ingredient in almost any insecticide that you come across. Boric acid works like magic for your anti-control treatment, it shuts the nervous system of the termite, effectively rendering it incapable to move and eventually die.
- Hire a professional: Believe it or not, professionals know it better than us. Contacting professional pest control services will help you in guaranteeing that you won’t have to encounter this problem again. Hometriangle’s got it best when it comes to professional extermination, contact us to get the quote now!