Cockroaches are omnivores. Although they can survive several months without food, roaches will eat anything that has nutritional value. They are especially attracted to starch, sugar, grease, meat and cheese. Decaying food items are particularly delicious for a hungry roach in search of his next meal.
What are their presence makes go through.
Cockroaches carry bacteria that can contaminate your food and make you sick!Cockroaches can contaminate food with their waste and saliva which contains bacteria that can cause food poisoning, diahorrea, and Staphylococcus infections. Contrary to popular belief, you do not get cockroaches because of poor housekeeping.
Source : nrn
The best way to get rid of roaches includes a complete cockroaches treatment process with basic steps: sanitation/preparation.
Sanitation and Preparation :
Sanitation is definitely one of the most important steps to getting rid of roaches, and preventing them. Most cockroaches treatment programs will fail if this step is skipped or poorly implemented. You must eliminate what attracts cockroaches, including as many food sources and water sources as possible and also seal off or eliminate places that cockroaches like to hide.
1. Eliminate Food Sources :
Getting rid of food sources is one of the most important parts of cockroach control. Sanitation of your kitchen and other areas of your home require dedication and hard work, but are necessary for a cockroach-free living space.
- Clean Kitchen Appliances. Cockroaches in your kitchen can live off grease and food spills under and behind your appliances. Clean under and behind the stove, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, dishwasher, and around and underneath the sink.
- Empty and Clean Cabinets. Crumbs and food spills from stored food products provide a buffet for cockroaches. Clean to eliminate this food source.
- Keep Food in Sealed Containers. Cockroaches are small enough to get into the cardboard packaging or loosely closed boxes and bags. Store food in metal, glass, or hard plastic sealable containers.
- Limit food consumption to one room of the house. Keeping all food and eating in one area of the home will eliminate crumbs and food spills and limits your infestation to one area of the house.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly each night before bed. Cockroaches come out to feed at night, so cleaning the kitchen each night will leave nothing for foraging roaches to eat. Wipe down kitchen countertops, wash all dishes, clean floors well, and put away all food.
- Vacuum or sweep all other non-food areas of the home every few days. Picking up stray crumbs and cockroach feces, skins, body parts, and egg sacs, which contain pheromones that attract other roaches to the same areas, will help keep your home clean.
- Empty pet food containers overnight, or cover tightly.
- Keep garbage cans clean and covered.
2. Eliminate Water Sources :
Water is another thing you will have to keep away from cockroaches. While it is difficult to get rid of all water sources, eliminate as many as possible.
- Fix leaky plumbing and sweating pipes.
- Before bed, dry all sinks, tubs, and showers completely and plug the drains.
- Place wet dishrags and sponges in an airtight plastic storage bag overnight, place them directly in the washing machine, or hang outdoors to dry.
- Pet water dishes should be placed outside overnight or be dried and refilled in the morning.
- Wet toothbrushes should be dried as best they can and placed in sealed bags or containers.
- Empty drip tray from under refrigerator.
3. Harborage Elimination :
Cockroaches hide during daylight and prefer dark, small spaces. By eliminating potential hiding spots, roaches will be forced to be out in the open to find a new place to live.
- Seal cracks and crevices with a caulking gun.
- Close holes surrounding pipes or other light and wall fixtures with a material such as Stuff It Copper Mesh.
- Make sure window and doorframes are tight and gap free to prevent entry from outside.
- Place tape over holes and crevices in appliances and other household items in areas that have heavy roach traffic. Computers, small appliances, etc., can all serve as harborage for cockroaches.
When Does an Expert comes in to picture ?
If the Cockroaches infestation is uncontrollable and you find they have spread wide across the Home. Its time to call a Certified Cockroach Pest Control Professional team to treat your home .
Hometriangle can help you to Hire a Cockroach Pest Control Treatment Team.